Sunday 26 February 2017

Discrediting - Indian Armed Forces

The below write up is from the perspective of a civilian, trained in Protection & Counter Terrorism Tactics (at Israel). This is the closest a civilian can get to understanding both worlds - for those who stand guard and those who sleep well.  I hence qualify myself to be able to lash back at all those sharing videos that are being used to discredit the Armed Forces.  
I've watch many #Bollywood flicks based on the #IndianArmy since i was young. However, I found the hollywood more realistic in such genre. In the last 5yrs, I've had much closer interactions with the #ArmedForces (both serving and retired) personnel from various ranks. And my understanding of this elite force has gotten more clear by the day. 
I had only a fair idea of the enemy they face till I started my training at Israel in Protection & Counter Terrorism. While I did prepare myself physically for such training, I was no where near the standard required to fight today's Terrorism. Both Mentally and Physically. But the Israeli's have the knack of transformation at the speed of light.
In just a few months, I was way too confident to handle a wide range of security and counter terrorism portfolio. From being a Close Protection & Counter Terrorism Operative to being able to offer Instruction in the said domain. This write up speaks about 2 worst forms of torture that the Israeli's gave me. After reading this you will understand the true nature of the complaints that are coming from few elements from the armed forces. 
Torture #1 - NO SUFFICIENT FOOD ! 
When I checked into the hotel and entered the dining hall for the very first time, I choked. The menu was filled with Meat and Fish. Yes, I'm a PURE Vegetarian. There were no Roti's No Dal, No Panner NOTHING ! There was the fat rice, dripping of olive oil. There was Popatoes fried in olive oil (I presume) and salad. At this sight, I thought to myself - Waaaooo ! I will enjoy healthy meals for next few months. However this thought came crashing within an hour of the first days training. I blacked out twice with a severe knee injury that got worse as the days passed by.
Today, when I look back, I am grateful to my instructor for what he did to me. From that day onwards, every single day, I was broken and re-engineered more stronger than the previous day. As most Indian's do - I cribbed. He didn't give a shit. And I'm glad he didn't. With chocking meat smell in the dining hall + nothing that I could call my kinda food + daily physical and mental breaking sessions, the PERFECT conditions for creating a Warrior were created.
I have met many who have traveled abroad and found themselves starving due to lack of Indian/vegetarian food. The BURNT roti and Dal that the BSF element showed in his video would have been heavenly for me during my training. My purpose at that point was to grab anything that is vegetarian that can help me survive. For me it was WAR. The real Jihad if i can call it - War over oneself. I was at war with myself everyday. With my weaknesses. With my excuses. With my limitations. With my inability to perform due to lack of needed food. In the end, I won !
When i saw that video of the BSF element, where he spoke of dropping temperatures and in human conditions - I thought about those soldiers who were taking the pain to mix the flour and water in bare hands and make those roti's for them so THEY COULD SURVIVE. Those sharing these videos should once live a week of combat and tactics before they can call the Indian Army names and be shameful about them. 99% of you won't survive a day. I have spoken to high ranked officers and they tell me of the brillinat quality of food that is served to our forces most of the time. Even if there was a lapse at the commanding officer level, it is absolutely irresponsible of the soldier to post his complain on Social Media.
Almost towards the end of my training at Israel, I found and got time to visit a Punjabi Restaurant. My joy had no bounds. I hogged like I was starving.
fb-status
This was me getting emotional after not having home food, added to feeling home sick. There is no age to feeling this way. Probably the same feeling that the BSF element experienced. Or may be he was one of those weak elements who lost his mental toughness to sustain and survive under tough conditions (the same conditions those cooking for him are going though) at that very same time.
I'm sure the BSF doesn't ship burnt roti's from Delhi or elsewhere. They are prepared in a camp close to them. So have some brains before you blame delhi for it ! Else you must blame Mr. TATA for a hair found in Taj food.  
Torture #2 - I got beaten up to pulp !
It was time to learn unarmed combat. The task was 2:1. 2 guys beating one guy up. Initially not very hard but it got harder by the days. Punches, kicks, slaps, hits in my face, head, thighs, abdomen. Active shooter simulations with M14 paintball markers WITHOUT any body armor. Marks of which I still carry on my body even after 6 months. And I look at them during every shower and remind myself of the PAIN I endured and what it made me.
If you haven't done anything passionate that has left scars on you that you see everyday and remind yourself of the inner strength you have.......then you've probably waste your life. 
The objective was clear from the first day - You need to learn to get back up and fight, even after you get hit. The more your capacity to take pain, the less you fear. In less than 2 months the Israeli's got me trained to manage my fear to power myself. And not to let fear control my response. We were trained to charge into a terrorist/active shooter rather than run for cover and hide. Something a common civilian will not understand. Coz all you know is to run for your life when there is an attack (tactically the most idiotic thing to do).
I'm referring to the video that shows few elements from the Army (thought it is not clear if they are from the Army) caning who seemed like new recruits.But first you must understand the enemy these trainees will be facing in the battle:
Our Enemy: We all know who it is. We also know they are brutal and have in the past beheaded our men and chopped  their bodies. They are known for brutal human rights violations during interrogation and other times. With such a brutal enemy - our men fight. And to train to fight such brutality, we must create pain that will condition our men to charge into their enemy rather than run away.
Pain - It can either build you mentally and physically or it can make you complain like a wimp. Just like a dog. Some dogs attack you when you hit them, others run away. Now you tell me which one would you like to be guarded by ? 
I'm glad that I became a dog that would attack. And so must every soldier who intends to become one in totality. We need strong men to defend our nation. Not those who get scared of pain during drills. So if you are a civilian, first learn why these men are being beaten rather than blindly share the video by some asshole who has no clue what he's talking about or has other intentions to do so. If you have nothing to do in life then sleep or go get drunk. But stop sharing videos whose intent is being socially engineered to discredit our armed forces.
The Indian Army is about Pain, Sacrifice, Grit, Mental and Physical Toughness, Emotional Intelligence, Self Control, Self Discipline, Accuracy, Tenacity, Attitude and Warrior Spirit to name a few. And if you think men will be developed in such traits with 5 star food, accommodation and no pain then you aren't talking about Indian Army. You probably talking about rich brats.
The institution of the Indian Army is spotless. And I believe in it's integrity and honesty - completely. I'm just saddened and disappointed that I could not serve this great institution in this life time. But if I come back, my request to almighty is to dedicate me to this family of sorts for lifetimes to come.
My message to all those who read this - Plz stop sharing the videos. You are doing more bad than good. If you believe me, then know that this great institution is made up of good men with integrity toward our nation and its people. And they will not do anything to harm our freedom and sovereignty.
Right now, India is fighting the toughest war it has ever fought. A war where social media is being used to turn our youth against its own system by systematic 'Social Engineering' tactics. Such kind is called - Psychological Warfare. So I request you all to ask yourself if the video you are about to share is -
Legitimate ?
Will it have any adverse effect on public opinion ?
Will it create a distrust against the political system ?
Will it bring down the morale of those sacrificing their lives for our sleep ?
I hope you have found some points to ponder upon. I wish we all can stand together against the massive social engineering attempts to destabilize one of the fastest growing economies.
Jai Hind !
Take care & take charge,
Chakradhari Rowe

No comments:

Post a Comment